Friday, December 14, 2012

A Mother's Kiss

Leo is in that adorable phase where whenever he gets the slightest bump or "owie" he has to run over and have me kiss it, even if it is his foot or elbow or whatever. He then runs off with a huge smile, the pain instantly relieved and all is right in his world again with a simple kiss from Mommy.  Today he was playing in the dining room and I was sitting just thinking/praying in the living room.  He kept saying "Mama!!" and running in just to get a big hug and kiss from Mommy, then would run off to go play in the dining room with a beaming smile. He would repeat this every minute or two for a while.

 I was thinking first of all about how Mary must LOVE when we are like that in our spiritual lives- when we seek her out for the briefest of moments just to reconnect and get reenergized and reoriented towards her Son in our work or play.  What a great model for the spiritual life our kids can be at times.

I was also then later thinking of how very precious those hugs and kisses are, particularly in light of the tragedy of the school shooting in Connecticut today. You can bet I am hugging my children tight tonight and praying for all those families. I hold tight to my children but I also know that ultimately they are not my own, they are here on loan.  I entrust them to the Blessed Mother's care, and I ask her to console the parents of those children lost today. I am posting a beautiful prayer to the Holy Innocents that was all over fb today:




A Prayer To The Holy Innocents

Holy Innocents, you died before you were old enough to know what life means, pray for all children who die young that God may gather them into His loving arms.

Holy Innocents, you were killed because one man was filled with hatred, pray for those who hate that God may touch their hearts and fill them with love. 

Holy Innocents, you experienced a violent death, pray for all who are affected by violence that they may find peace and love.

Holy Innocents, your parents grieved for you with deep and lasting sorrow, pray for all parents who have lost young children that God may wrap a warm blanket of comfort around them.

Holy Innocents, those around you certainly felt helpless to prevent your deaths, pray for all who feel helpless in their circumstances that they may cling to God for courage and hope.

Holy Innocents, you who are now in Heaven, pray for all of us that one day we may join you there to bask in God's love forever.

Amen.



No comments: