Tuesday, February 1, 2011

This Little Light of Mine...

...This is how I'm trying to let it shine!

Growing up, much like Barbara, I had many people tell me I would be a famous artist someday. I have one relative who we saw only occasionally growing up, who was disapproving of my parents for having a large family, and I'm sure my mom staying home with us, because of our financial troubles. This relative was always impressed by my drawings and thought I would become an artist. Well, I saw him at a family event years back after having Barbara, and he asked me if I was still keeping up with my art. When I told him yes, on the side in different ways, but that I was home with Barbara, he looked disappointed and wistful. He was quiet and changed the subject. I was hurt. And every once in a while, when I hear the Bible reading about hiding your lamp under a bushel basket, I doubt... Am I using my gifts the way God wants me to? Have I buried my coins in the ground instead of making something more of them?

But I should know better. Deep down I do know much, much better. If you'd ask me what I wanted to be I'd say an artist, a teacher and a mom. I feel like I've done pretty well combining those three, even if I am not a pure "artist" by profession. I feel so fulfilled as a mom and I enjoy infusing my momhood with my unique talents of teaching and art. I feel like what I do with my children IS my art and teaching, and when opportunities arise to use my gifts in other ways, I try to make use of them. For example, I've made paintings to give to people when their loved ones have died, or handmade greeting cards, or when asked to paint a mural for the second grade classroom at St. Joe's (while 7 months pregnant) I willingly agreed, because it was a chance to use those talents. I like to sew things and create things and give them to people, most especially to my children. Who better to lavish my talents on, and who more deserving of my full gifts?

I might not have a portfolio, or qualifications to get a job as an artist, but that's not what I'm going for right now. One dream I do still have is to be an author and illustrator for children's books, and I feel like there will be a season for that. I can only work toward that a bit at a time right now, and my experiences with my own children will likely be the inspiration and springboard for that dream.

But here, for the times when I might have those doubts, or be tempted to listen to the voice of that relative, I am posting my "portfolio". I've gathered up these photos as indisputable evidence to myself that this is truly a wonderful way to use my gifts. I want to have this visual reminder of the joy that it is to use my own individuality in the service of my family and friends. As you'll see,many of these photos are from birthday parties and many are of cakes, which I find a funny. I just love going all out when possible to celebrate their special days together by making homemade parties and cakes. Other mothers may include very different things in their portfolios, and their "portfolio" may be less visual, (and probably contain much less cakes!) Other mothers might have gifts of gardening, of cooking, of accounting, of budgeting, of so many other things. Their children will be blessed in those ways. We can each only do our best to bless our families with the gifts we as individuals have been given!

(I am not allowing comments, because I really truly did not want this to be a brag post, it is simply a motivation and reminder post, and to gather these photos together in one place.:))