This year I made up a "formula" to help me figure out what to put in Easter baskets. The formula is as follows. :)
1. A book
2. A religious item
3. A toy or fun item
4. CANDY
Now for example say for Barbara this could be as simple as religious stickers and fun stationery from the Dollar Tree, and a used book on amazon with free shipping. Or for the little guys, bubbles and a religious coloring book. Candy usually is most exciting anyhow.
This year, for books I did amazon - BB: Watership Down, Jimmy: Rascal, Sam: First Easter storybook, Leo: First words Let's Talk book
For the fun items/toys: BB: modeling clay and sidewalk chalk, Jimmy: wii steering wheel, Sam: huge inflatable soccer ball and coloring book, Leo: Thomas bubble maker
Candy is self explanatory- reeses eggs, jelly beans, assorted egg/bunny candies, Peeps and chocolate crosses
Now for the Religious item this year, I had been perusing the "Catholic Child" website and saw these beautiful prayer pillowcases . I had them all picked out- St. Therese for BB, St. Patrick for JImmy, St. Joseph for Sammy and St. Francis for Leo... THEN, I noticed the price- $20 apiece!
So I came up with an inexpensive way to make them myself with iron on transfer paper and Microsoft Word.
1.First, I googled an image for the Saint I wanted and saved it to my hard drive. I also googled a corresponding prayer for that Saint that I liked and highlighted and copied the text.
2. I opened Microsoft Word, clicked insert Word Art- pasted the prayer text. Then highlighted it and clicked on Drawing Tools, Format, Text Effects, 3-D rotation, then way at the bottom clicked 3-D rotation options- that opens up a table where under the box for the value of X, I input 180, then click close- and this will flip the text to be mirror image.
3. I did insert picture- clicked on the saved file of the Saint and did the same formating with the 3-d rotation and inputting 180 degrees to flip it as well.
4. Finally I did insert word art to type in the child's name, and then did the same steps to format the 180 degree flip again.
5. This left me with a final document that had everything flipped to be a mirror image. I then followed the instructions on my package of fabric transfer printer paper (mine was from Walmart for $8) to print out the document onto iron-on fabric.
backwards document:
**** If your printer has a "mirror image" option when you print out then you can skip all my crazy formatting and just make a regular document and then click that option when it's time to print, but print a test on regular paper to make sure it worked! :)
6. I washed and dried the pillowcases to make sure they wouldn't shrink, and ironed them flat.
7. I ironed on the images according to the instructions- empty iron of water- no steam- dry iron them for about 3 minutes using lots of downward pressure.
8. Let cool for a couple minutes and peel off backing
9. I washed them inside out on cold and dried on delicates again to soften it up
10. All done!
I am really happy with how these turned out and I spent a total of $20 to make all four (you could easily spend less if your Walmart is not out of stock of their cheapest pillowcase 2-packs and you are not impatient like me and just end up buying their higher thread count pillowcases for $3 each! ) These pictures above are all pre-washing so they look more softened up now.
I am going to have them wrapped up as pictured with a little bottle of holy water for each of them to keep by their beds.
Wishing you many blessings this Holy Week!
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
1 comment:
This is so cool--I'm going to do this next year. Will you remind me? lol!
Post a Comment