I was just thinking about the personality trait I have of loving to get others' opinions and find out what other people do. I'm very open in asking for advice and opinions even if I don't use it. I was also noticing that certain other people in my life almost NEVER do this, preferring rather to give advice and tell me "well this is what I do..." Those tend to be the people I label as the "Type A + personality people", and who also seem to be the people that others respect more often.
So my question is, is what I do an asset or a detriment? Am I just handing away my power right and left by asking questions or advice, (even if I'm not and I'm just wanting to learn more or expand my knowledge on a subject) or is it actually a strength to be humble and broaden your own view of a subject before taking a stance or taking an action/making a decision. I can see it both ways.
1 comment:
Hmmm. Well this is what *I* think.
1) You're not handing away power left and right- because you have NO OBLIGATION WHATSOEVER to listen to their advice. This is the key.
2) I think 90% of the time it has nothing to do with humility so much as shying away from responsibility (in the destructive cases) or informed,responsible deliberation (in the beneficial cases). Humility is usually a negligable factor in my experience.
3) I think it's important to realize that most people aren't all or nothing on these things... they're multi-faceted. And usually they're "Type A +" in respect to some people and seekers in relation to others, just some more or less so. And in fact, as someone who knows you well, I think I can safely say you're a Type A + in relation to some people yourself, you just don't notice it as much...
Post a Comment