Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I don't envy Robbie right now

He's pheasant hunting today OUTSIDE in the freezing cold. It's only about 10 degrees right now, -5 with the windchill. Of course he got some crazy hunting garb to help weatherproof himself, but even still you could see the Texas boy finally shining through today as he whimpered at the thought of being outside that long.

I haven't written on here in a while, 1. because the Spanish students don't seem to say as many funny things as Barbara and JImmy, and 2. I'm kind of on autopilot, with a groundhogdaylike existence that is much more regimented and ritualized than my other life. I've got to go from getting up early, getting ready and the kids ready, leaving early, dropping off Jimmy, to school, teach 2nd grade, 1st grade, K5, break, then repeat, set up for the next day at school, go pick up Jimmy, go pick up Barbara, come home, exercise, let the kids unwind, go through backpacks and my bags, sort stuff out, make dinner, eat dinner, clean up dinner, kids bathed, set up for the next morning at home- outfits and lunch, bags packed, clean up the house a bit, veg out with Robbie, go to bed and start over. So far I've just kept the ball rolling, even with exercising and prepping school stuff for Barbara and all, because I feel like if I were to let things drop for just a day, it would all come apart.

So besides the no extra time thing, the actual teaching part has been going well. The teachers have been complimentary, and the kids love to say hi when they see me outside of the classroom. It is nice that the teacher left plans, because even if they are a bit sparse, at least I am not having to spend the normal hours of prep time. That would make me a stresscase I think. It's been easy to fill in with ideas of my own when I need to stretch her plans.

Jimmy has been fine once he's at mom's but I've felt sad when he cries and tells me he doesn't want to go to Grandma's b/c he just wants to stay home with me. :( Just three more weeks after this one, though, and meanwhile this has been a really good experience.

4 comments:

Kay Pea said...

Liz...are you substituting at BA? Man, that boss over there is such a slave driver...

mags said...

I think she should have one of those drums like on the slave ships in Ben Hur for keeping rythmn.... Man, I love those drums...

mags said...

PS: What's up with Jonathan's blog being invite only now? Did he have too many stalkers?

Lagartija said...

No, he posted some material he didn't necessarily want the Peace Corps to read...