Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mmmm Zucchini bread!

I am breathing in the aroma of warm, spiced zucchini bread, baking in the oven! My neighbor game me about 5 ENORMOUS zucchini from her garden yesterday, so this morning the kids and I walked over to my moms with the wagon full of (Sammy), a huge bag of zucchini, the kids lunch bags, a can of tomato soup, the hugest tuna can you've ever seen, fat free mayo, an onion, and my purse. I used mom's food processor to make QUICK work of grating those monster vegetables. It would have taken me and my slave laborers all afternoon to grate those, and I doubt my slaves would have lasted more than a minute or two helping! So then I made my "vat" of tuna salad, an idea stolen from Matt from when he lived at our house one summer, and we had tuna sandwiches and tomato bisque soup with Mom, Em & Becky.

Later in the afternoon, Barbara WALKED, BY HERSELF, over to Grandma's house to borrow 2 loaf pans, as mine were peeling and rusted out. This is the second time I have let Barbara walk over on her own, with the cool walkie talkies I got on craigslist earlier this summer. I'm so proud of her! She is really growing up!! She IS almost 7, and my Mom lives only 2 blocks away, but still! This is probably even more of an accomplishment for me than anything, paranoid Mom that I am!!

Summer has flown by so quickly. I haven't even had time to blog at all. I have lots of hopes for the schoolyear, and new ambitions. Among them, a new playgroup with a GREAT group of Catholic Moms, for Sammy and I, a book club with the Schoenstatt sisters at St. Mary's, with lots of the same ladies, trying to do some of the feast day meals and celebrations (using the Catholic Cuisine blog and the book "A Continual Feast") and planning religion and Spanish lessons for the kids. Also, I want to experiment with making my own healthy bread, free of HFCS and other yuckies, but hopefully cheaper than my Natural Ovens loaves! And of course, get back on the track of consistent exercise! If Sammy keeps up his 2 ample naps a day schedule I may just get to do a couple of these!

And I am 10 weeks pregnant today!! March 11 is the due date and I got to see my peanut on ultrasound last week!! SOOO amazing!!!!

No comments: