Saturday, September 10, 2011

Transitions



"To be intereseted in the changing seasons is...a happier state of mind than to be hopelessly in love with spring." - George Santayana

I saw this quote in a magazine once and clipped it out. In my case, I would substitute the word "fall" for spring. I am hopelessly in love with the fall. It is my favorite time of year, and also seemingly the most fleeting. So when back to school time rolls around I always get a twinge of sadness as that delicious crispness fills the air. It's a sign that things are changing, and changing a little too fast for my liking.

On the last morning of summer vacation, I was feeling a little bit of that sadness over letting go of summer with the kids. Although we had enjoyed a fun, full summer, the last few weeks of vacation had been filled with whining, squabbling and bickering. I didn't want summer to go out like that, like a bad taste in the mouth. I prayed during my morning prayers that I could somehow find some way to fill those last couple days with some beautiful memories.

Spontaneously, on the last Friday before school began, the idea arose to paint a mural for Jimmy's room. We decided to use a set of 4 huge canvases instead of the wall. Barbara, Jimmy and I set it all up out on the deck, and once Leo went down for morning nap, the three of us started working on a masterpiece together. Barbara and I sketched, and all three of us painting it together. Sam played happily outside the whole time, until he fell asleep on the swing, then he napped the rest of the afternoon while Leo
woke up and played outside nicely. It was a beautiful day out on the deck creating together and such a wonderful memory! Over 2 days, we completed 2 of our 4 part series in the reptile, amphibians, turtles, and crocodilians 4 piece series. :) The last two painting are still in the works!




This year, that sadness was very brief, and I am enjoying the new rhythm that the transition is bringing! God is good. I am savoring every minute of fall, my favorite time of year!