Monday, September 12, 2011

Under my roof...


The Gospel reading this morning from Luke tells the story of the centurion who asks Jesus to heal his servant.

I had read that in the new translation of the Roman Missal, the words that we say before Communion will change from "Lord I am not worthy to receive You, but only say the word and I shall be healed," to " “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed,”

Now I love that the Biblical allusions are going to be made more obvious through the changes in the translation. Call me dense, but I never realized the connection to this Gospel in all my 34 years of having participating at Mass!!! I also love the imagery conveyed with "under my roof" vs. "receive" because it causes me to think of my body and soul as a household into which I am inviting Christ, whereas to me, receive makes me think mainly of receiving the Eucharist- which, yes, is the same thing, but as a visual learner, the image of a home and a roof and the faith of that centurion, and the miracle of healing his servant...it just fleshes out the meaning in such a rich way.

I'm really looking forward to the changes in the translation and the new depth of meditation and understanding they will bring!

No comments: