I hesitated to post this first one because those of you who don't know what a dork I am would suddenly find out- but you are bound to find out at some point, why not now? This fits along with my Lenten mortification which is eating according to the Light Weigh. It was hugely helpful today with Ash Weds. I usually fail at some point on Ash Weds and "cheat" and eat something between a meal. Not this year! I went to Goodwill with the kiddos to pick out a "cookie jar" This is actually probably a sugar bowl, but it fits my kitchen decor perfectly (and had a matching napkin holder- I've been needing one of those!!!) and besides I don't have space for a big cookie jar. Then at the Learning Shop I grabbed a bag of cupcake calendar tags and laminated them (I was going to just use cookie or cupcake notepads but at 2.50 a bag I don't want to buy refills ever again!) Then I wrote different prayer intentions on the back of each cupcake with a Vis-a-Vis. So EVERY time I was tempted to eat something and really had the urge, I went to the cookie jar and picked out a cupcake and offered it up for that intention. Not only is it hugely edifying and embarrassing to see that plate of cupcakes, but I felt so connected to all those who I have offered to pray for or who need help, and it really helped me, a VISUAL learner to see that those small sacrifices add up and make a big difference. Plus that little "You are Precious to God" plate looks really cute with cupcakes on it, granted they are flat cupcakes, but still...
Our Lenten pathway calendar. This is the backside of our Jesse Tree- it was originally a calendar, which I further scored with a sharpie to make more weeks. It is wipeoff and magnetic (magic wall) sooooo.... The kids have been begging me to do a Lenten version of the Jesse tree. I've seen that Jessica has a Jesus Tree on her blog, but I am just not up for all the felt cutting and such. So what I did was take all her entries on the Jesus tree, cut and paste them into a google doc file so that we have a guideline for our own Lenten Bible Study! Jimmy wants to call it "The Holy Cross". But they are going to draw our own little symbol and I'll turn them into magnets to go on the calendar each day- we already have some magnet symbols for Holy Week and such. It's different, but it works for us and what we already have on hand!! We plan to read the Bible study, color a little symbol to laminate, and say a decade of the rosary each night. Robbie and I want to finish the other 4 mysteries together later, one for each child. Here is a link to the Google doc for the bible study: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A3jCiVDwa_GeWFd1DZxTuPtsw5ENsSwilBG75kw3e4s/edit?pli=1
and her blog with the full posts: http://showerofroses.blogspot.com/2011/02/preparing-for-lent-our-lenten-journey.html
The TV time was creeping up and up on us- both by me during the day using it to help me deal with Sam & Leo, especially when I had the headaches, and also by Barbara and JImmy after school. Add to that Robbie reliving his childhood by playing Mario Brothers on the Wii with the kids at all free times and it was WAY too much screen time lately. Today was the first day without it (besides ONE show for Sam during Leo's nap) and actually, things have been way more peaceful and moods seem much better too.
We made our crown of thorns for doing good deeds and Sam really enjoyed this project! Here he is still pushing in toothpicks long after the older two deemed it enough.
Many BLESSINGS to you and your families this Lent!!





1 comment:
LOVE the cupcake idea!!! And I can't wait to start the group--wahoo! (I'm guessing my spoon fulls of peanut butter and mini marshmallows are coming to an end.) lol As they should. :)
Post a Comment