Husband, that is! Today in the mail I got a card that he wrote and mailed to me. How sweet is that??
5 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Liz,
I didn´t know you had a blog?! That´s great! I think it´s so important to work through many of the thoughts, experiences, feelings we have in life by putting pen to paper (or in this case, finger to keyboard) and try to clarify what we are feeling and thinking. Plus, it serves as a great way to archive life.
I don´t have much time right now, but I read your blog about power and type A+ personalities and I have had very similar thoughts. In fact, it´s one reason why I read about Karl Marx a few years back. He argues that ultimately all human relationshiops are about a power struggle. While I don´t completely agree with that, I think it contains elements of truth. I know that by coming down to Honduras, acting confident with my MBA and my two years of experience at Dell, I generate much more power and respect than I would in the States. And in a culture like Honduras where titles and degrees matter a lot, I think this power is easily manipulated and used for things like corruption. Yet, I feel like the US is much more of a merticracy and having a type A+ personality doesn´t take you as far. While someone may try and assert their wisdom by being a type A+ personality, I feel like most Americans see through that and ultimately give their respect to the person who is wiser or right.
Alright, I´ll stop rambling. I´m typing this response very fast so let me know if I don´t make sense.
I hope you´re doing well. Have I told you I filed my application to Marquette! It feels great!
Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).
Yeah, I'm fairly new to the blog thing, and mine is more of a journal of sorts so I hadn't really publicized it, though I certainly don't mind people reading it.
Do you really think Americans see through the A + personality? I don't. I think a lot of people will follow the person who acts confident and who will get things done, and not really question whether the "thing" itself should or shouldn't be done. I guess I'm thinking of a specific example, so I'll have to start looking to test that idea out on a broader scale through observation. :)
I would say that on a relative scale, I do think Americans are much less prone to following someone just because they act confident and get things done. Having said that, I still think it happens quite a bit.
The American way of life is stressful, hard-working, and full of worry. Someone that comes along and is able to convince others that he/she is able to lighten that load is normally pretty well-received because they give everyone else a (normally much needed) rest break. I think each of us is struggling through life trying our best, choosing where to invest the limited energy and time we have in those activities we deem the most important, and for all the other activities that we don´t have much time and energy for, we limp through as best we can, sometimes on the backs of others.
I guess what I´m trying to say is that I think there are times in life when everyone is the confident and take the reigns kind of person, and there are other times when we just want to sit back and let someone else drive. And generally, I think that´s okay; I think it´s human nature. True, sometimes we´ll be taken advantage of and sometimes we´ll take advantage of others, but I think it mostly balances out in the end. The strongest leaders I have known have been the ones who know when they are fit to take the reigns and be confident and when they should sit back and leave it to someone else. This shows humility, a virtue that although it isn´t practiced by many Americans it is still widely admired in those that live it.
Having said all of this, there are still those people out there that just seem to have a knack for taking the reigns, being confident, and getting people to follow them. While our society generally admires them, I´m not so sure this is an enviable quality. After all, someone that is going in the wrong direction but has been able to convince others to follow him/her in that direction, is still going in the wrong direction. Ultimately, it´s not about how many people are following us but whether we´re going in the right direction.
I wish I could help you out with pulling comments down.
5 comments:
Liz,
I didn´t know you had a blog?! That´s great! I think it´s so important to work through many of the thoughts, experiences, feelings we have in life by putting pen to paper (or in this case, finger to keyboard) and try to clarify what we are feeling and thinking. Plus, it serves as a great way to archive life.
I don´t have much time right now, but I read your blog about power and type A+ personalities and I have had very similar thoughts. In fact, it´s one reason why I read about Karl Marx a few years back. He argues that ultimately all human relationshiops are about a power struggle. While I don´t completely agree with that, I think it contains elements of truth. I know that by coming down to Honduras, acting confident with my MBA and my two years of experience at Dell, I generate much more power and respect than I would in the States. And in a culture like Honduras where titles and degrees matter a lot, I think this power is easily manipulated and used for things like corruption. Yet, I feel like the US is much more of a merticracy and having a type A+ personality doesn´t take you as far. While someone may try and assert their wisdom by being a type A+ personality, I feel like most Americans see through that and ultimately give their respect to the person who is wiser or right.
Alright, I´ll stop rambling. I´m typing this response very fast so let me know if I don´t make sense.
I hope you´re doing well. Have I told you I filed my application to Marquette! It feels great!
Love,
Jonathan
Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).
Jonathan,
Yeah, I'm fairly new to the blog thing, and mine is more of a journal of sorts so I hadn't really publicized it, though I certainly don't mind people reading it.
Do you really think Americans see through the A + personality? I don't. I think a lot of people will follow the person who acts confident and who will get things done, and not really question whether the "thing" itself should or shouldn't be done. I guess I'm thinking of a specific example, so I'll have to start looking to test that idea out on a broader scale through observation. :)
P.S. Does anyone know how I can remove the random Portuguese spammer comment?
Liz,
I would say that on a relative scale, I do think Americans are much less prone to following someone just because they act confident and get things done. Having said that, I still think it happens quite a bit.
The American way of life is stressful, hard-working, and full of worry. Someone that comes along and is able to convince others that he/she is able to lighten that load is normally pretty well-received because they give everyone else a (normally much needed) rest break. I think each of us is struggling through life trying our best, choosing where to invest the limited energy and time we have in those activities we deem the most important, and for all the other activities that we don´t have much time and energy for, we limp through as best we can, sometimes on the backs of others.
I guess what I´m trying to say is that I think there are times in life when everyone is the confident and take the reigns kind of person, and there are other times when we just want to sit back and let someone else drive. And generally, I think that´s okay; I think it´s human nature. True, sometimes we´ll be taken advantage of and sometimes we´ll take advantage of others, but I think it mostly balances out in the end. The strongest leaders I have known have been the ones who know when they are fit to take the reigns and be confident and when they should sit back and leave it to someone else. This shows humility, a virtue that although it isn´t practiced by many Americans it is still widely admired in those that live it.
Having said all of this, there are still those people out there that just seem to have a knack for taking the reigns, being confident, and getting people to follow them. While our society generally admires them, I´m not so sure this is an enviable quality. After all, someone that is going in the wrong direction but has been able to convince others to follow him/her in that direction, is still going in the wrong direction. Ultimately, it´s not about how many people are following us but whether we´re going in the right direction.
I wish I could help you out with pulling comments down.
I hope you´re doing well.
Love,
Jonathan
Post a Comment