Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Fountain of Youth is Drying up!

I'm used to being the young one of the group. With a September birthday, I was always the youngest of my class from preschool through college. I was the first of my friends to get married right out of college and the first to have kids even though it took us 2 years. I was the youngest mom in the first playgroup I joined when Barbara was a baby. The other moms were in their mid to late 30's. Then I started a neighbor moms group and most of them were older than I was, with the exception of my next door neighbor who wasn't even 21 - she got married out of high school to an "older" guy who actually went to my high school the year under me. When my kids started school, I was/am still among the youngest moms of their classes.

But most of the school moms are either not having more kids or their youngest kids are in my oldest kids classes. With Leo and Sam I've had to seek out yet another group and now among that moms group, which is fantastic, I am suddenly finding myself among the oldest moms of the group! And I kind of don't like it! In addition, I have noticed that I now have wrinkles coming out from my eyes when I smile and bags under my eyes! (I remember the neighbor moms complaining about this one playgroup when they were in their mid-thirties and they laughed at me when I tried to chime in as a twenty something.)

Last week I confessed my worries about the eye wrinkle thing to Robbie and he laughed it off telling me that he has aged big time and has tons of face lines. (but he's always had those "laugh lines"). Then later, he made some "joking" remark about my "wrinkly old face" which he must have thought was funny but I actually started to cry! (I can laugh now though) He felt terrible, and tried to explain that he thought it was silly because I am "one of the youngest looking 33 yr olds he knows", and that I don't have to color my greying hair like many of the school moms, but by that point I thought he was just saying it to make me feel better. :) Then as Jimmy pointed out this morning, "when Leo is 6, Daddy will be 40". That means I will be 39!! I think it is going to take me a little time to adjust to the fact that by choosing to have a big family, at some point (sooner than later) I am going to be the OLD mom. Yikes. Well, I think babies and toddlers help keep you young, (at heart, if not in body!) so that is a good thing at least. :)

2 comments:

Kim said...

I've been struggling with the wrinkles too... I know it's part of being in my 30's, but even 5 years ago, I looked so young! Now I look at my face, and I look so much more washed out and wrinkly! Yuck!!
Remember too, that when Leo (and any younger children) are into school, you will also be the wise, experienced mom whom other moms will look to for advice. When some of them are talking about their struggles with their first school-age children, you will have the perspective of having been through it and having older children who have also gotten through that stage (and into other stages).
Also, I truly thought last year at the retreat that you were younger than me. I find it hard to believe you're 33! (I'm 31... nearing 32).

Lagartija said...

Thanks, Kim :)