Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Bad Mommy Day :(

It didn't start out that way, in fact it started as a Good Mommy Day. I took Barbara to school, played Connect Four, Tic Tac Toe, hot wheels stunt track, and puzzles with Jimmy for a couple hours, then picked up our clothes from the tailor, and took Jimmy to preschool. I stayed and helped KG do preschool where the (only 3 today) kids made Easter baskets out of milk jug halves. The one girl whose mom dropped her off had a meltdown and screamed for about a half hour because she wanted pink bunny ears and we didn't have any more. Jimmy had wanted pink too "because i DO like girl colors sometimes" originally and had pouted, but got over it and picked another color. We tried to call the girls mom but her phone didn't work. Anyhow, this is ancillary. Once the third Mom showed up we took the kids to McDonalds for a special shamrock shake lunch.

Jimmy and I proceeded to Toys R US where we got a spacesaver high chair that goes on your kitchen chair for the new baby, and character undies for me to put in the kids Easter baskets. (Hey, they need undies...) We then wandered around and looked at all the toys and baby stuff let Jimmy push buttons and things. He's so good (sometimes) he didn't whine or try to get the toys we looked at, he just played with them and put them back. The only thing he asked to get was the "Gazillion bubble maker" which he asks to get at every store which seems to have it.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to me, Barbara's teacher had called home and left a message that she wasn't feeling well (AGAIN??). Finally on the way home, the secretary thought to call my cell phone and told me Barbara was in the health room. (WHY do I fill out all the emergency contact info if they aren't going to look at it??) So I was able to swing by and get her, but I was feeling bad when I found out from her that she had been in the health room since after lunch! She was home sick with me the week I was sick, and we'd brought her back on Friday when we thought she was better and they called me to come pick her up that day too. She seemed fine to me this weekend and this morning! Now she's all lethargic and has a fever again!

Then I felt even worse when she told me she didn't have a lunch today. I had written it in my personal calendar book and on our big wipe off calendar in the kitchen in bold letters "PACK COLD LUNCH WEEK" since the school kitchen is closed this week, and STILL I forgot to pack her a lunch!! Some eighth grade girls shared with her. :( Also, her teacher mentioned that Barbara had forgotten a hat yesterday and today. Actually, I just didn't think it was that cold and I kind of let the kids decide whether they need a hat on or not (natural consequences). Jimmy never wants to leave before securing his hat and mittens in place. Barbara is like me and wears them when it's cold but when it's cool just figures she can use her hood.

She and Jimmy are both napping now, but I just don't know what is wrong with me that I forget things all the time! How can I be so organized in some ways but so disorganized in my brain and memory? I just hate the nagging feeling that there are all these more mature and mindful parents out there that don't forget things all the time.

Oh well, I'm over it now that I've blogged it out. :) Who wants to be perfect anyway?

No comments: