At my Dr.'s appointment last time my OB was freaking me out about VBACs (vaginal birth after c-section), even though I've already had one. After talking to her I was feeling irresponsible for wanting to have one again... She was saying how the risks are just as great for uterine rupture, and you shouldn't assume that now that you have delivered a baby by VBAC that you are in the clear. I admitted that this had been exactly my thinking until I met a woman in the library who had three kids - the first had been a c-section, the 2nd was a VBAC and then with the third during delivery her uterus ruptured and although her baby ended up O.K. she had to have a hysterectomy (remove your uterus= no more kids)and lost a lot of blood. While the chances of uterine rupture are relatively low, when it does happen it is super scary because both baby and Mom have a much larger chance of actual death and complications. My OB was saying that the last uterine rupture she saw they barely had time to get the woman to the OR and the baby was having seizures from lack of oxygen. She said you don't have much time once it happens to rush to an emergency c-section and if the baby is born O.K. they can still have permanent brain damage. She also said as OB's there's not much about childbirth that scares them because they know what to do about it, but that uterine rupture is one of those things that really scares them, because it is hard to control and time is of the essence once it happens. She then apologized if she had scared ME, and said she was still willing to try regular delivery with me but that I would be monitored the whole time and their threshold for going straight to a c-section if anything seemed slightly off would be much lower.
So honestly, yes, I was a little freaked out after that visit. I also know that Doctors now have swung the other way of being supportive of VBACs because of liability, so they try to dissuade patients from it. Also, c-sections are much more profitable and convenient. So I have to weigh all that crap around against the actual risks as well. I know Kelly has had 3 VBACs now and has been fine, but I also know that just because one person does fine doesn't mean it would be the same for me (the lady in the library?) I mean it's not like we have the same insicion in our uteri. LOL
Also, Fifth's disease was going around through Barbara's class. I'm pretty sure Jimmy had it (he had the bright red cheeks) and I don't know about Barbara. It's nothing serious for kids but can potentially be if you're pregnant I guess. Barbara's teacher had me call my OB. SO I had to have this parvovirus marker test that can show if you have EVER been exposed to it, because if you have then you are immune and it's not a problem, and most people have already been exposed by the time they're adults. Well my results came back negative that I haven't ever been exposed so now I have to go get blood taken every week to see if it shows up in my system after exposure from BB or J. If it does show up then I have to have weekly ultrasounds and they can tell by looking at the baby's blood flow to the brain if the baby is getting anemic (the danger with Fifth
s for being pregnant) and if it is getting anemia they will do a blood transfusion in utero!! It's all a bunch of ifs and my Dr. seemed not worried because they can do something about it, and I'm not worried either but I just thought it was pretty crazy!!!
I was a little freaked out after that visit.
1 comment:
Not sure what to say about this.
Pray?
Post a Comment