Robbie had a work meeting this morning to go to, so I took the kids to the library to return our 56 books that were due and to re-stock.
I had the double stroller with the baby boys and Barbara and Jimmy were unloading the books from a massive IKEA bag into the book drop (it was so heavy I could barely get it that far, much less all the way into the building!). A lady was watching us as she walked up and asked, "Are they all yours?" I smiled my biggest smile, said yes and braced myself for what might come next, but instead she said, that's wonderful - I love big families (don't laugh, my friends with 5 plus) I have 7! So we chatted a bit and she went in. It was nice to hear her positive comments.
My kids were finally just finishing up loading the books in the book drop when a man came up and was waiting as I smiled and tried to heave my stroller out of his way. And then he surprised me by asking, "Are you the nanny or the mom?" I just laughed, um no I'm the mom, ha ha! Thanks, though that's a nice compliment. I said. "Well you just look so young," he replied, "Very pretty too". BUAAAHHHHA HAHA. It's not like he was some young cute guy so I realize it doesn't mean much, but it certainly brightened my day. (It's been a while since I've gotten that type of comment!)
I was still feeling cheerful enough from the two nice interactions that I was able to remain completely polite when the grumpy libarian tried to lecture me when we were renewing 3 books- She said, it looks like you have about 50 books still out. And when I told her yes, we just dropped them off in the drop box and when she asked if we did them one at a time, I said, honestly, it was like 2-3 at a time because we had 56 of them. She then went on a whole speech about how they won't be checked in properly b/c they have to go one at a time and now they'll have to do shelf checks for all the ones showing up not checked in. I listened and apologized and assured her I understood, although it was just minutes ago I dropped them off... Finally she realized that I had used the outside drop, which is OK to do several at a time and that explained why they weren't checked in so I was finally off the hook! Why are libarians always so uptight??
On the drive home, Barbara asked me to retell the story of how when she was a baby I would sing and rock her to sleep and then as soon as we set her down on the crib sheets she would wake up screaming. She thought that was so funny. Then I told her how I would also sing to her when I was pregnant driving to work. WORK? She asked? You.. um... worked?? I just can't really imagine that. Thanks Barbara, ha ha! I know she meant going to a job, not that I don't work hard, because she actually tells Jimmy sometimes that "we should help Mommy, b/c she has so much work to do". :)
Funny morning. Now lunch time and R's on his way home and we have more errands to run..
1 comment:
What an adventurous trip to the library!! Funny!
I still can't get over how much your kiddos must love to read! 56 books! How do you keep track of them at home, and how do you get through them all?? I am amazed! I wish my kids loved to read like that!
Post a Comment