Friday, October 8, 2010

Therapy

Leo had his OT yesterday for the first time in over a month (he has been going weekly since birth), as we had to wait for insurance to switch over with the new job. Although he has improved in leaps and bounds just in the past month, I was a little dissapointed to discover he still has two movements he is lacking. To my untrained eye, I just see his left arm waving all over, even up high, and being used for crawling. I didn't notice until she showed me that he still has trouble with external rotation (turning the arm out and up) and also with supination (being able to upturn his wrist to put his hand to his mouth) - he has to stick his entire arm out at the elbow instead of turning out the wrist. So I need to rededicate myself to his "exercises" and stretches.

Sammy had a speech evaluation today, and while his receptive language was right on target for his age (understanding and responding to what's said) his effective language and speech are only at 18 month level, which does not surprise me one bit. So he is going to start therapy every other week, with the therapist we met with today. She is a new therapist, but i really liked her and so did Sam. I think it will actually be kind of fun and hopefully I'll learn some new tricks and games.

Both Sam and Leo charm the heck out of everyone they interact with at these therapy places. Everyone from the receptionists to the birth to 3 lady to the therapists keep marveling at how fun they are and how happy they are and I'd have to agree!!

1 comment:

Christine said...

I'm glad to hear that Leo is doing better. I'm sure it's frustrating for you that he's not 100% yet. I had to do physical therapy exercises with Sweetie every day when she was 18 months old because she still wasn't walking. It was sooo hard to keep myself motivated enough to keep it up!

And I'm really curious where an 18 month old is supposed to be at speech-wise. Bashful is 18 months old and doesn't say ANY real words other than mama. I'm guessing he's at a 6 month old level! Maybe that will help you feel better about Sammy!

How was your party last night? I was so sad I couldn't go. A food party would have been so fun!