Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Sneaky Pride
I love that having more than a couple children gives me so much more perspective, especially as the years whiz by. But I am still tempted by sneaky pride and I think Sammy is helping me overcome that. I had been spoiled by Barbara and Jimmy in some ways b/c they have been so advanced in academics, and have always been "ahead" in a lot of things since they were babies. It can be easy to develop a swelled head as a parent and think it's all your own doing- the nice enriched environment you provided, all the purposeful interactions and connections you helped them make... But then God steps in and says "Hey! Want to give a little credit where it's due? Want to get your priorities straight?" and he sends you a third child. A wonderful, happy lovable child, who has his own timetable to unfold in. He is content to do things slower, to walk later, to talk later. He doesn't know his entire alphabet by two years old. He calls all letters "s, o, m , p or t" indescriminately. He calls colors by the wrong name. When he counts, everything is "two, two, TWO!" He doesn't care, he has fun with his life, and he is delightful! At least he is interested! But silly, prideful me still gets defensive, because people who don't know all my kids might think he's not smart. People might judge ME and they might not think I'm doing a good job! They don't know that I used to be the one with the child prodigy! HA- I just have to laugh at myself when I realize how prideful I can be. (And I am embarrassed to even admit to having these thoughts!) I thank God for giving me a wonderful sweet happy boy to help teach me patience, humility and JOY in just being. It is a much needed lesson and I have a lot to learn! I love you so much Sammy!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, your first two kids must have been smart! I am impressed if they were able to do all that by 2! My first was very smart (or so I thought until I read your post - jk!) He could identify his letters fairly quickly and put together 24 piece puzzles at 2 1/2 years of age. But Isaac, my second, just doesn't care! Probably similarly to your Sammy. Though hopefully Sammy will not wait so long to learn things. Isaac finally started taking interest in identifying letters, colors, shapes, and numbers a month before turning 4, and so now we're slowly catching up. But a friend of mine whose daughter is 6 month older than Isaac and has had the same issues has had her daughter tested and has been told her daughter is on the lower end of normal - some kiddos learn slower than others, at their own pace, as hard as it is for us parents to accept that (especially when we have had fast learners). But they will get there, and they will learn to read and add and subtract and often be at the same spot as the other kids by 2nd or 3rd grade.
I have been catching up with your blog and really enjoying it, including your Surprising Things About Me and posts about your kids. Sorry I haven't been around for a while... been busy! God bless you and your family!
Post a Comment