Thursday, April 14, 2011

Note to Self




Jimmy is so darn orderly and organized. He wrote this note to himself to bring home to remind himself that he needs more pencils for school, since he's down to his last pencil. So typical of him. I have laminated before and after school routines on the fridge that instead of using as a basic guideline, he follows to the letter.

The other day we stopped at the school playground after school to take advantage of the great weather. Yet Jimmy wanted to do his homework in the car first, because that is the order of operations - you do homework before playtime!

This summer I got sick of them wanting to snack all. day. long. so I established a 9:30 and 2:30 snacktime, and Jimmy stuck to that rhythm like glue! He STILL wonders on the weekend if he can have a snack since it's 9:37 and he missed 9:30 snacktime. LOL I have tried time and again to assure him that it's a rough timeframe so it really is OK if it's 9:20 or 9:40 or even if they missed it and they want to have snack and (gasp!) 10 A.M. Also, when we went back to school it was a big issue b/c they didn't get home until 3:30 - what about 2:30 snacktime??? I had to explain many times that summer snacktime could be different than schoolyear snacktime. In the schoolyear we would simply eat snack right after school at 3:30. Ha ha.

With this boy, my challenge is not getting him to remember to do things (Barbara is floaty like this and we have to constantly remind her) but rather to help him not to see things in such rigid terms, and to relax and not be so uptight about his structure. It's funny and neat how different each child can be!!


No comments: