Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools!!






Every year, I have to play tricks on the kids, usually with their food. I don't know why I get so in to it- I just love good-hearted mischief I guess! It all started back when I was pregnant with Barbara and my sister Emily was 5 or 6. I saw these recipes in my moms Family Fun magazine, and I made her a grilled cheese sandwich which was really toasted pound cake slices with frosting dyed orange like melted American cheese. Then "dessert" was a cupcake that was meatloaf in a muffin liner with fluffy mashed potatoes dyed pastel pink like the frosting. Robbie's then boss (later partner) happened to stop by that evening and Robbie offered him one of the "delicious cupcakes that Liz baked". So he took it and went to take a bite, only to half spit it out, he was NOT expecting to taste meatloaf and mashed potato!!

Over the years I've made things like "fish sticks" that were really french toast sticks, with peas made from melted, shaped laffy taffy, and "mashed potatoes & gravy" that was ice cream and carmel sauce. And for dessert, fauxberry pie. Most of the other food recipes I've made are on that website too. Last year, just after having Leo I wasn't up for anything too elaborate, so I put a few drops of food coloring in the bottom of their cereal bowl, and as they went to eat it, the milk changed color. That was a good supriser! The year before Jimmy and I made "shamburgers" that we served with juice that we froze with straws in the glasses. I have the video on facebook, it cracks me up. :)

This year, we had fake fried eggs and toast - melted marshmallow blobs with apricots as yolks, and toasted pound cake. Pretty disgusting breakfast, though they didn't eat the marshmallow, only the apricot and pound cake! Yes, the eggs look pretty nasty, and didn't really fool anyone for long!

Then after school, Barbara was having a friend over so I told her I picked up some sushi, since she LOVES sushi and my sister and I take her out for our "sushi girls club" every so often. Robbie and I made these candy sushi last night and I put them in a package of real sushi rolls that I bought at the grocery store. The kids were surprised, because they thought the fried eggs was the trick of the day. Just plain old cheese pizza for dinner, but Robbie and I have a fake chore chart we're going to roll out that has things like "cut the lawn using nailclippers" and other such bogus chores. Should get a laugh!

2 comments:

Holly Rutchik said...

Oh my goodness, Liz! You put so much work into everything.
I have to tell you, I have this FEAR of people messing with my food! I don't even like other people touching my food or sharing a bag of chips. Uggg. I think i have a problem - I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat at your place after reading this!! hahaha! But I have to say, the meatloaf cups with mashed potatoes on top sound really good as a meal if you know you are getting it! hahahaha!!!

Lagartija said...

It's a good creative outlet for me, like writing is for you! I PROMISE I will never mess with your food if you come here! lol I only do this on April Fools, to the kids, b/c they LOVE it!! :) They were asking Robbie days in advance, what do you think Mommy's going to trick us with this year?? This year the best trick was actually the chore chart, they were going crazy about it!