I have two quick kid anecdotes to share.:)
Sweet girl: Last night we were at a Christmas party at R's Uncle Jack's in Chicago with the kids. Barbara came over and sat on my lap as it was getting later, and I said, "So, tell me what you're really excited for about Christmas!!?" She replied, totally genuine, "Jesus' birthday! I'm excited for Jesus to be born on his birthday!"
Silly guy: On the way over to the party after with my brothers and sister-in-law for dinner, we were talking about the baby. We asked the kids what they thought the baby was going to be, a girl or a boy. Barbara said a girl, but Jimmy just kept saying, "I dunno" and he got more and more adament and loud in his response, "I dunno...I dunNO...I DUNNO, until finally he yelled out, "I" "NO" "KNOW"!!! when it comes out WE'LL FIGURE IT!!!" We all started clapping, it was so funny. He was just so perturbed that we would keep asking a question that he felt he would just have absolutely no way of answering in a definitive manner. He couldn't grasp the concept that we were looking for his opinion, his little male analytical brain just saw it as an either/or question that he had no way to prove yet!
2 comments:
I haven't gotten a Christmas Kodak Gallery invite yet? I'm a little confused. It's the 26th now.
Also, way to reinforce gender roles. I wish someone had convinced me I was sweet when I was young... maybe it would have rubbed off...
For the record, I would and DO call Jimmy my sweetie boy, it was just not the most applicable adjective for these stories. :) Also, as I recounted last night to the group, my attempts at avoiding reinforcing gender stereotypes at home have not only been thwarted by Jimmy, but also backfired into the full blown "guy-fest" he's been having this Christmas with the advent of his action heroes, gorilla monster truck, and "mean" castle. I should write a separate post on that! :)
Post a Comment