Saturday, December 1, 2007

Kindred Spirits Part Two

Tonight we had Monica and her husband Jaren over for dinner. Speaking of kindred spirits, Monica is definitely one, and we have been friends since second grade. We had drifted apart a bit since college but she's the type of friend that when you see them again everything is just the same as if you had been close all along. Plus she is even WORSE than I am about watching scary or suspenseful shows/movies, which I didn't think was possible.

She had told me when I saw her at a party at their apartment a month or so ago that she really wanted to do more with me, and I totally agree. There are true lasting friendships, and "friendships of convenience", which occur as a result of shared work, school, or other life circumstance where you see and interact on a daily basis. These are an important part of life as well, and sometimes lead to a lasting friendships. But I am (finally) realizing that as an adult if you want to maintain a "true" friendship, you have to really WORK to maintain and grow that friendship, it doesn't always just "happen". That is why I am so glad I invited Monica and Jaren and just set a date and had them over, and that they showed up, despite the winter storm weather! (They actually cancelled an hour before they were supposed to come and then called to uncancel!)

The kids had a lot of fun with them. Jimmy ran right up to Jaren and wanted to show him all the rooms. :) Barbara read for them, we ate chili and cornbread and salad and had pecan pie with custard for dessert. Then we put the kids to bed and stayed downstairs talking and sharing stories for a long time and playing "Last Word". Monica kept saying what a great time they had, and it really was a lot of fun. So disregard my whining post a few days back. If I just have two great friendships to work with (I'm including Robbie of course), and a lot of good ones, hey, that's more than a lot of people and it works for me!!

Also, I think I almost made Monica split her gut (is that the expression?) when I told her about "Salad Bowl" and how my Dad acted out the word "virgin" by crossing his hands in front of his crotch as if shielding it. And then how he did "Yoga for kids" by rolling around on the ground.

1 comment:

Kay Pea said...

nice. sounds like a good time. you should definitely invite monica to the next family salad bowl extravaganza. AND...I think the term is busted gut.