Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving break




Yesterday, we went to the Museum. The kids had a blast. Barbara taught me a cool rhyme about how to tell a false coral snake from a real one (we saw a false coral snake at the museum on display) : "red touch yellow, kill a fellow- red touch black, a poison lack". She learned it in her school library book, "Snake Secrets". ha ha  So if you ever come acoss a red, black and yellow snake, now you'll be safe!


Today we made these yummy, easy guys for giving as Christmas gifts.  They look cute and taste delicious!  You put ring pretzels on waxed paper on a cookie sheet (Aldis has huge bags for 1.29 near the checkout), then place a hersheys hug (cutest) or kiss in the middle.  Heat in the oven for about 3 minutes on 250.  The chocolate will then be soft, and you press a Christmas M&M gently into the center.  Let cool then you can get them off the waxed paper.  A cute, easy salty sweet treat!
 
Also, we hit the motherload!!  My mom gave me ALL these old videos from when we were little- they are the Hannah Barbera "Greatest Adventure" stories from the Bible!  Also a bunch of the CCC Saint videos!  They've been great for during the little boys' naptime.  :)


 

Tomorrow is cookie baking and decorating, (can you believe we have to make 6 DOZEN for the school fundraiser-grrr, I won't have the energy for any of our own!) and making sweet potatoes to bring to Thanksgiving.  Friday the kids are going to help me get out Advent stuff and Christmas decorations.  Fun week!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mary said...

Wait a minute: are those Christmas cookies already??!! You are WAY ahead of the game! So, do you freeze those, or do they just stay ok in a container?? I am definitely going to make those this year! They're so pretty, and now I know how easy they are!
Thanks!!

Lagartija said...

They're so easy I'd hardly call them cookies - but yes, I have to take advantage of Barbara and Jimmy being off for the week to do these baking traditions that they love- we give them in little gift tins - I have literally hundreds of these little white tins I got from a friend who got them from Rishi tea company!? - they always make a little something for Aunt and Uncle gifts, and for Grandma and Grandpa- that adds up to about 14 little gifts though!! I putr them in freezer bags in the freezer- I think they should keep fine. I want to freeze them though so the pretzels don't go stale? Tomorrow we're hoping to do gingerbread cutouts and let them go nuts decorating!